Preparing for a Fulbright in Bulgaria

08/09/2013

Hello Wooster Community!

I leave this Saturday for a ten-month Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship in Gabrovo, Bulgaria. I will be working with 8th, 9th, and 10th graders, teaching English and possibly other electives 20 hours a week. For those of you who might not know, the Fulbright ETA program gives grants for young people (under 30 I believe) to teach English in many countries. You apply directly for the country you want. Here is a link to the Fulbright website:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedregion/21

It took me awhile to decide which country to choose. I was a Comparative Literature major who focused in French, but I wound up going with Bulgaria because I wanted to learn another language and what I’d seen of the culture from my Bulgarian friends I liked. Compared to other countries, Bulgaria has a lot of Fulbright ETAs (I think we have 27 now–they added more this year). A lot of countries only have a couple ETA positions. Bulgaria is also a great place to do a Fulbright because you can apply for a second year (it is my understanding that in most countries you cannot extend the grant).

Some facts about Bulgaria

Bulgarian is a slavic language, and I hear it’s easy to learn if you already know Russian.

Bulgaria is part of the EU, but the currency is the Lev.

Viktor Krum is Bulgarian (HP reference)

Bulgaria boarders Greece, Turkey, Romania, Serbia, and Macedonia.